Did you know? February is American Heart Month and the perfect time to be kind to your heart. More than sixty-seven million Americans have high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure are four times more likely to die from a stroke and three times more likely to die from heart disease, compared to those with normal blood pressure according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In support of better heart health, the American Heart Association is sponsoring a free online support program available to residents living in the Northwest Valley. Registration is free, simple and fast, and for people with limited mobility, going online may be the perfect way to connect in a safe, cost-free environment for interaction, encouragement and advice.
This American Heart Association online support group is a community of people who have been diagnosed with heart disease, a congenital heart defect or stroke, and their caregivers.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the benefits of participating in support groups may include:
- Feeling less lonely, isolated or judged;
- Gaining a sense of empowerment and control;
- Improving your coping skills and sense of adjustment;
- Talking openly and honestly about your feelings;
- Reducing distress, depression or anxiety;
- Developing a clearer understanding of what to expect with your situation;
- Getting practical advice or information about treatment options; and
- Comparing notes about resources, such as doctors and alternative options.
Now is the best time to be kind to your heart so spread the word and help those you love take measures to care for their heart too!
Deep Roots Consulting & Marketing Services